Search This Blog

Thursday, October 29, 2009

More on the BNRT and its place in tax reform discussions

I haven't heard much discussion lately about the business net receipts tax (BNRT) proposal offered by the California Commission on the 21st Century Economy. I don't think that means it is over - perhaps there are some legislators and their staff taking a closer look. I think it is possible that other states might be taking a closer look. While I am doubtful that any state will enact such a tax as proposed, I think it is a useful discussion item in that it is better than a gross receipts tax and a possible substitute for a sales tax (although the CA proposal kept the local and selective sales taxes so was not a full substitute for it).

I've got a short piece on looking at this tax as part of any state business tax reform discussion - AICPA Corporate Taxation Insider article of 10/29/09 - Looking for a Better State Business Tax.

No comments: