Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Testimony before House Ways & Means Committee

On April 13, 2011, I had the opportunity to represent the AICPA in testifying before the House Ways & Means Committee on the "Tax Code’s Burdens on Individuals and Families Demonstrate the Need for Comprehensive Tax Reform." I chair the AICPA Individual Income Taxation Technical Resource Panel so got the honors to testify, which I do view as an honor.

Here are some stories on the hearing and testimony:



Since at least the 1980s, the AICPA has been focused on reducing the complexity of the tax laws. We have offered suggestions for reform, as well as principles for simplicity (see links in the 4/13/11 AICPA written testimony - here and the AICPA Tax Reform website). So, it was a nice opportunity to share current ideas of the AICPA Tax Section on how to simplify the tax law. Many thanks to the AICPA Washington DC personnel, particularly Melissa Labant, who drafted the written testimony.


Why do we have this complicated system? Here are some of my suggestions.

2 comments:

Peter Reilly said...

They really were asking for AICPA input on income taxation and they scheduled it for April 13 ?

I'm sure you represented us well but I do find the day they picked a little ironic.

Cole C said...

I've been reading your blog for a year or so now and I just wanted to say that you are the best person to be testifying at that committee!

If only they would listen to you then we would be well on our way to a simple and effective tax system.